Slime is a popular toy for kids! Your own kids may be playing with slime and have quite a lot of fun, too! But if you have a dog, they may become curious about this substance and eat some. But what happens if a dog eats slime?
Note: this article is about homemade slime, which has become very popular in recent years!
Has your dog eaten slime? Are you worried that the slime will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about slime and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Slime?
Slime is a sticky, gooey substance that can be made at home. Kids love playing with this stuff for hours at a time. There’s something fascinating about the way the slime can be manipulated into different shapes and ooze into another shape. Plus, it feels pretty interesting between your fingers!
Homemade slime has become popular in recent years. One reason is that it may be more inexpensive than buying the storebought product. Homemade slime can include the following ingredients:
- White glue (such as Elmer’s glue)
- Baking soda
- Shaving cream
- Laundry detergent
- Food coloring
- May also include glitter or other ingredients
The ingredients may vary, but most recipes for homemade slime do contain ingredients that may be toxic if eaten.
While slime is considered safe when used as directed, what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats slime?
Slime & Dogs
Unfortunately, slime can be toxic to dogs. Most homemade recipes for slime contain one or more ingredients that can be toxic if ingested.
Symptoms of Slime Ingestion
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten slime:
- Breathing difficulties
- Lack of appetite
- Lung failure
- Walking drunk-like
- Head pressing
- And more
If you notice these or other symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
It’s helpful if you can take the recipe for your homemade slime to the vet. This way, they can see exactly what your dog has eaten and the proportion of each ingredient in the slime.
Let the vet know about what time your dog ate the slime, too. All of this information can help the vet determine how to treat your dog’s symptoms.
Treatment of Slime Ingestion in Dogs
Treatment will depend on your dog’s symptoms and their severity. If the vet diagnoses your dog with poisoning, they will work to decontaminate your dog’s body. After this, the vet will treat your fur baby’s symptoms as they arise. In addition, your canine companion may require an IV for fluids and to administer other medications.
The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment. As always, it’s best to keep any kind of slime out of your dog’s reach. And make sure the kids know not to feed the slime to your dog. Explain that it can make the dog very sick. And remember, prevention is always the best medicine!