My Dog Ate Trintellix What Should I Do?
Has your dog eaten Trintellix? Are you worried Trintellix could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a quick look at Trintellix, what this medication is used for, and whether or not it could make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Trintellix?
Trintellix is a medication used to treat depression in humans. It works by balancing out a brain chemical called serotonin. Trintellix is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and serotonin receptor modulator. It works to improve a person’s mood, sleep, appetite, and energy levels.
While this medication can help humans with depression, is Trintellix harmful for dogs?Check Price on Amazon
Trintellix & Dogs
Unfortunately, Trintellix is toxic to dogs; many antidepressants meant for us are toxic to dogs. Antidepressants have become a commonly prescribed medication, which means that more households have this type of medication in the medicine cabinet. This also means there’s a higher chance for dogs to gain access to antidepressants.
For these reasons, antidepressant poisoning has become very common in dogs.
Symptoms of Antidepressant Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested Trintellix:
- Bluish tinge to skin/mucus membranes
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Low body temperature
- Depressed breathing
- Dry mouth
- Enlarged pupils
- High blood pressure
- Lack of coordination
- Low blood pressure
- And more
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment for Trintellix Toxicity in Dogs
When you reach the vet’s, they will perform a physical exam of your dog. The vet may also order lab work. Next, they may induce vomiting and/or use activated charcoal. Gastric lavage and enemas may also be used to remove the medication from your dog’s system.
Throughout treatment, your dog may require an IV for fluids, as well as the administration of medications. Your fur baby will more than likely have to stay hospitalized for a day or two until he’s stable.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical care for Trintellix toxicity make a full recovery. The key is seeking out the vet as soon as possible to treat this type of poisoning in dogs.