My Dog Ate Amazon Fire Remote What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 01/27/23 •  4 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Amazon Fire Remote

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Remote controls, including the Amazon Fire remote, are enticing to some dogs. No one’s quite sure what about the remote control attracts a dog to chew and possibly eat it. But this is a common problem and one that can be dangerous. What happens if a dog eats an Amazon Fire remote?

Has your dog eaten an Amazon Fire remote? Are you worried the Amazon Fire remote will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Amazon Fire remotes and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is an Amazon Fire Remote?

The Amazon Fire remote (also called the Amazon Fire Stick) is an electronic device that can connect your TV to Amazon’s streaming media platform. The remote is generally like other TV remotes in that it includes various buttons and controls a TV. It also includes a microphone so your TV can connect to Alexa. All you do is tell Alexa what type of programming to search for, and she’ll find it for you!

The Amazon Fire remote is made of a plastic case and buttons, electronics on the inside, with wires and batteries. There’s no question that this remote is not meant to be eaten. So, what happens if your dog eats an Amazon Fire remote?

Amazon Fire Remote & Dogs

Unfortunately, the Amazon Fire remote can make a dog pretty sick in different ways. First, if the dog has chewed the plastic casing into small bits, these pieces could be pretty sharp. They can cause punctures, tears, or cuts in a dog’s mouth, esophagus, or anywhere along the digestive tract.

In addition, these plastic pieces or a larger part of the remote could become lodged in the dog’s digestive system. This can lead to intestinal blockage, a life-threatening condition if left untreated.

Finally, if your dog has eaten the batteries, call the vet immediately. If the batteries have been punctured, the chemicals in the batteries could cause chemical burns and ulcers in the dog’s digestive tract. This can be a life-threatening issue, whether the batteries were alkaline or lithium-ion.

Note: Do not induce vomiting unless directed to do so by a veterinarian.

Symptoms of Amazon Fire Remote Ingestion

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an Amazon Fire remote:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Amazon Fire Remote Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may take x-rays of your dog to determine whether pieces of the Amazon Fire remote are in his digestive tract. If so, the images also show the vet where these are located.

In some cases, the remote may be in your dog’s stomach. The vet may be able to remove the remote pieces with an endoscopic procedure. However, if the remote pieces are further along in the digestive tract, the vet may have to perform surgery to remove the remote safely.

The vet will also treat any other symptoms as they arise, including sores and ulcers in the dog’s mouth and digestive system. Your fur baby may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating an Amazon Fire remote. In the future, it’s best to keep all remotes out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 163 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading