My Dog Ate A Power Cord What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 10/14/22 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate A Power Cord What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

We all have many power cords in our homes. The cords are used for everything from TVs & appliances to computers and game consoles. And it can be hard to keep cords away from our pets. Dogs can be very curious about power cords and sometimes chew them up. But what happens if a dog eats a power cord?

Has your dog eaten a power cord? Are you worried the power cord will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about power cords and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is a Power Cord?

A power cord is an electrical cable that connects a device or appliance to the mains electricity supply via a wall socket or an extension cord. Some examples of power cords include the cord that charges your laptop’s battery, a cord that powers a lamp, and a cord that connects your refrigerator to electricity.

The power cord may have a specialized adapter for the device on one end, with a pronged fitting on the end, which fits into the power socket. Electricity is then free to run along the cord to a device or an appliance.

Power cords are made with wires inside a plastic insulating cover.

While power cords are safe when used as directed, what happens if a dog eats one?

Power Cords & Dogs

Unfortunately, power cords can be very dangerous for dogs. The problem is that the cord contains wires that can be swallowed. Once the dog has eaten some of the wire, it’s possible for the wire to pose a choking hazard or even the sharp end(s) of the wire to puncture or tear any part of the digestive system.

In addition, the wire could also cause an obstruction in the dog’s intestines, which can cause a life-threatening condition.

Even if a dog eats a short part of the cord, he could become very sick.

What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten a Power Cord

First, if you notice that part of the power cord is sticking out of your dog’s mouth or out of his anus, do not pull it out. This could cause serious damage to your dog’s digestive tract that could even lead to death.

Try to figure out how much of the cord your dog has eaten, if possible. Then call the vet right away. The vet will provide you with instructions on what to do next to help your dog. In some cases, they may want to see your dog right away.

Never wait to see if you’re the wire or power cord comes out in your dog’s poop. Waiting like this could cause a serious medical issue that could end in death. Always call the vet right away.

And if your dog likes to chew on power cords, you may want to consider investing in dog-proof wire covers. These make it almost impossible for your dog (or other pets) to chew on the cords. Prevention is always the best medicine.

(Visited 342 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading