My Dog Ate Bacon Will He Get Sick?
Who doesn’t love the smell of bacon cooking on the griddle? It tastes sublime eaten on its own or served as a side to hot buttery pancakes or waffles, with maple syrup, of course! And we bet that when your dog smells bacon he comes running! Are we right?
Dogs and bacon seem to be natural together; however, too much bacon can cause your dog to get sick. Let’s take a look at what can happen when a dog eats a lot of bacon.
Too Much Bacon and Your Dog
It’s a fact—dogs love bacon about as much (if not more) than we do! While it’s OK to share your bacon with him in small amounts, if your fur baby has too much bacon it could make him very sick.
The reason bacon can make your canine companion sick is that it is filled with loads of salt and fat. If a dog eats a lot of bacon on a regular basis, it can lead to obesity, heart disease, or to a condition known as pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis in dogs is a condition where the pancreas becomes swollen and inflamed. This can cause:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain/bloating
In milder cases, pancreatitis is not life-threatening in dogs; however, a dog can develop a severe case which is very painful and distressing. It can also endanger a dog’s life.
Another danger with bacon is that if it’s undercooked, it can carry parasites. If your dog eats bacon that’s not done enough, the parasites can cause an infection that makes your fur baby very sick.
We don’t mean to be too dark and heavy here but do want to make sure you understand that a lot of bacon can make your dog very sick.
Keep Bacon Safe for Your Dog
It’s OK to share a piece of bacon now and then with your dog. That won’t cause a problem. However, if he happens to snarf up a package of bacon when you’re not looking, then it’s a good idea to call the vet for advice.
If your fur baby has a bacon addiction, look for a safer alternative such as Dog Bark Naturals Bacon Bark. This is a safe bacon treat your dog is sure to love, but it doesn’t have all the fat and sodium your dog doesn’t need. This is a safe, all-natural treat your dog is sure to love!