My Dog Drank from Creek What Should I Do?
Don’t you just love going for walks and hikes with your dog in nature? Nothing is better when you’re together roving the forest! It’s a great way to get exercise and have fun with your fur baby! But what happens when you come upon a creek and your dog wants to take a drink? Can drinking from the creek make your dog sick?
Has your dog drunk from the creek? Are you worried the creek water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at creek water and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Creek Water?
First, a creek is water that flows in a narrow channel or watercourse. You might also hear this type of waterway called a stream. A creek is usually smaller than the tributary of a river. Now that we understand what a creek is let’s take a look at creek water.
What’s in Creek Water?
Creek water, even if it looks clear and clean, may contain microorganisms that can make a dog or person sick. These include:
Cryptosporidium: this is a species of protozoan parasites that are known to infect water, including dogs, humans, and other animals.
Giardia: is another parasite that can be found in water, which can infect a person, dog, or other animals.
Bacteria: water may also contain bacteria, such as salmonella, campylobacter, E. coli, and leptospira.
Blue green algae: is not usually found in running water; however, if there’s a very slow current in a creek, it’s possible for blue-green algae to grow there. This type of algae produces a toxin that can kill dogs and other animals.
Chemicals: water that looks clean may also harbor harmful, toxic chemicals. These can include fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and more. These can make a dog very sick.
If a dog drinks creek water that contains any of these infections/toxins, then it’s possible the dog could become very sick.
Symptoms of Creek Water Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk creek water:
- Blood in urine
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive drooling
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle tremors
- And more
If your dog shows any of these symptoms (or others), then call the vet right away. This is an emergency.
Don’t wait to see if your dog’s symptoms improve or worsen. Your dog needs treatment ASAP.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical treatment have a better chance of making a full recovery.
When you’re out walking, be sure to take plenty of water along for you and your dog. That clean water will keep your dog from drinking creek water, which could make him very sick!