My Dog Drank Bug Killer What Should I Do?
Bug killers are one of the most common household chemicals around. When someone has an insect problem, they usually reach for a bug killer. No one thinks too much about it. This is how common insecticides are in the home! But what happens if a dog drinks bug killer?
Has your dog drunk bug killer? As you worried the bug killer would make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about bug killers and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Bug Killer?Check Price on Amazon
A bug killer is a product that uses chemicals to repel and kill pests, such as insects. This is why the products are also called insecticides. Insecticides are easy to buy in grocery stores, drug stores, and many other places, including online. When used correctly, bug killers are a safe and effective way to get rid of pests.
The most common chemicals in bug killers include:
- Pyrethrins (also called pyrethroids)
Insecticides may take many forms, including sprays, solids, and more. Each of these can be toxic to dogs (and other pets, small children). Some bug killers also leave a residual layer behind, which may accidentally get onto a dog’s paws.
Another problem with bug killers may not be stored carefully. For instance, many people keep bug killers under the kitchen or bathroom sink, in a closet, and in other easily accessible places. When the products are stored in this way, they may be accessed by our fur babies and small children. Accidental poisonings with bug killers are very common in pets and children.
But what happens if a dog drinks bug killer?
Bug Killer & Dogs
Most types of bug killers are toxic to dogs. There are certain insecticides that are safe to use on your dog; however, other types of insecticides can poison our canine friends.Check Price on Amazon
Symptoms of Bug Killer Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks bug killer:
- Excessive drooling
- Lack of appetite
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased heart rate
If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Be sure to take a sample of the bug killer with you, preferably the container. The information on the product label will help the vet determine how to treat your dog.
Bug killer poisoning is a very serious matter. Your dog has a good chance of making a full recovery if he receives medical care ASAP.