My Dog Drank Soy Sauce Will He Get Sick?

By Kim •  Updated: 11/10/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Soy sauce is a very common ingredient found in most of our homes. It’s used in all types of cuisine including Asian cooking. While soy sauce tastes very good, a large amount of it can be dangerous for dogs.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is in Soy Sauce?

Soy sauce is a dark brown liquid that’s made from soybeans, wheat, water and salt. It may be naturally brewed, fermented or chemically produced. Soy sauce originally was used as a condiment in East Asian cuisine, and it’s been around for over 2,000 years!

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

While soy sauce tastes very good, it can be a health hazard if it’s eaten too much. The problem is that this lovely sauce contains high levels of sodium (salt), which in large amounts can cause a number of health issues such as dehydration, heart disease, stomach cancer, and more.

Salt isn’t only dangerous for us pet parents—it’s also dangerous for our dogs.

Symptoms of Salt Poisoning in Dogs

Salt is very toxic to dogs and can cause a wide range of symptoms including:

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

 Sodium poisoning is a serious medical condition, so if your dog has ingested a large amount of soy sauce, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Salt Toxicity in Dogs

The vet will perform a physical exam, along with lab tests to check your fur baby’s sodium levels. They may also do an EKG to check your dog’s heart, as well as x-rays, MRI, CT scan and/or an ultrasound to check for possible damage to the brain, heart, and lungs.

Once your vet has diagnosed salt poisoning, then your dog will more than likely need to spend a few days in the hospital. This is because the vet will have to gradually reduce the sodium in your dog’s system. If done too quickly, it can cause a heart attack or other serious health issues. In most cases, it can take as long as three days to bring down the sodium levels. The vet will treat any other symptoms your dog is having, too.

The prognosis is good for most dogs who receive prompt medical care after ingesting a large amount of soy sauce.

So, if your dog has only a bit of soy sauce, he should be OK. However, if he drinks quite a bit of this liquid, then you should call the vet right away. Your dog’s life may depend on prompt treatment for salt poisoning.

(Visited 415 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]