My Dog Drank Baileys What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 11/19/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Baileys is one of those beverages that many people enjoy, especially during the holidays! A glass of Baileys helps warm you up a little bit and make you more relaxed and merry! But what happens if a dog drinks Baileys?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog drunk some Baileys? Are you worried the Baileys will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something he shouldn’t. That’s why we’ve put together some information to help you and your dog in this situation.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

In this article, we’ll take a look at Baileys and whether or not it can make a dog sick. We’ll also share information on how to help your dog if he’s had some Baileys. Let’s get started!

What is Baileys?

Baileys (more correctly known as “Bailey’s Irish Cream”) is an Irish cream liqueur, which is flavored with cocoa, cream, and Irish whiskey. It has about 17% alcohol per volume, which isn’t too strong. However, if you overdo it with the Baileys, it can make you drunk!

Baileys is a favorite alcoholic drink any time, but especially during the holidays. This sweet drink goes with just about anything or can be enjoyed by itself. But what happens if a dog drinks Baileys?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Baileys & Dogs

Unfortunately, Baileys can be toxic to dogs. The reason this drink can be toxic to canines is that it contains both alcohol and cocoa. Too much alcohol or cocoa can be fatal to dogs.

Symptoms of Cocoa Poisoning in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk some Baileys:

Symptoms of Alcohol Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has had too much Baileys:

What to Do If Your Dog Has Had Bailey’s

If you notice any of the symptoms listed above, or a combination of symptoms, then call the vet right away. Alcohol toxicity or cocoa poisoning can lead to death in dogs. So, call the vet right away, rather than waiting to see if your dog develops symptoms or if the symptoms become worse. Doing so could cost your dog’s life.

Your vet will be the very best person to offer guidance on what you need to do to help your dog in this situation.

(Visited 896 times, 2 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]