My Dog Ate Raisins What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 07/14/22 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate Raisins What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Do you enjoy eating those small packages of raisins as a snack? Who doesn’t! They’re yummy and healthy! But what if you look down and see your dog begging for raisins? Is it OK to share your raisins with him?

Has your dog eaten raisins? Are you worried the raisins will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about raisins and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What are Raisins?

Raisins are grapes that have been dried either in the sun or by mechanical means. Once the raisins are dried, they are sent to a processing plant, where the stems and foreign objects are removed.

There are many varieties of raisins; however, the most common are those that are either a deep purple or golden color. Golden raisins are called sultanas and are made from the same grapes as other raisins. The only difference is the drying process used to make them, including a sulfur dioxide treatment.

Raisins can be eaten plain or used in a wide variety of dishes. They can be used whole or chopped, too. They’re a very versatile food!

While raisins are safe for humans to eat, what about dogs? Are raisins safe for dogs to eat?

Raisins & Dogs

Unfortunately, raisins are toxic to dogs. Raisins, like the grapes they’re made from, include certain substances that can cause kidney problems and even death in dogs. All raisins/grapes contain tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides. Dogs are not able to metabolize these substances.

When a dog eats just 0.05 oz of raisins is enough to make a dog very sick. However, no one is sure of the exact dose that can lead to kidney failure in dogs.

Symptoms of Raisin Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats some raisins:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog or suspect he’s eaten raisins, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Raisin Toxicity in Dogs

The vet will first work to remove the toxins and raisins from your dog’s system. They may do this by inducing vomiting and using activated charcoal. Depending on the severity of your dog’s system, he may need to be hospitalized for a couple of days until he’s stable. In addition, he may require an IV for fluids and to administer medications your fur baby may need.

The vet will also work to prevent kidney damage and get the kidneys functioning again.

The prognosis is best for dogs who have not eaten many raisins and who receive prompt medical care. So, if your canine companion loves raisins, be sure to keep these treats out of your dog’s reach. Remember, prevention is always the best medicine!

(Visited 57 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading