My Dog Ate Vegetable Fertilizer What Should I Do?
As the pet parent of a canine fur baby, you’re probably very familiar with the fact that dogs eat everything! This evening includes vegetable fertilizer! But can vegetable fertilizer make dogs sick?
Has your dog eaten vegetable fertilizer? Are you worried the vegetable fertilizer will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when a dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at vegetable fertilizer and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is vegetable fertilizer?
People who grow vegetables want them to be the best possible. So, this usually means it’s necessary to fertilize the soil. Not only are the quality of the veggies better, but they also yield more when they have plenty of “food” (vegetable fertilizer).
Gardeners have two types of fertilizer to choose from, either inorganic (synthetic) or organic vegetable fertilizer. Inorganic fertilizers are made of substances that have not lived. Instead, they are comprised of nutrients that may be released right away or over an extended time. These vegetable fertilizers contain nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. They may also contain other ingredients such as cobalt, zinc, boron, and more.Check Price on Amazon
On the other hand, organic fertilizers are most often made of manure (animal poop). The manure is usually worked into the soil before planting the veggie seeds. This type of fertilizer doesn’t have an “extended” version, which means the garden must be fertilized at some point in the future.
Back to dogs—why would a dog eat fertilizer? For the same reason, they eat anything else! Some dogs may be attracted by the smell, or they may have a condition called pica. It can also happen by accident if a dog walks through the garden. It’s possible he may have some vegetable fertilizer residue on his paws and fur. If the dog licks this off, then he will accidentally ingest the fertilizer.
Then there are vegetable fertilizers that may be mixed with other chemicals. Some fertilizers, for instance, may contain herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and other substances. These can be particularly dangerous if eaten.
So, is vegetable fertilizer dangerous for dogs?
Vegetable Fertilizer & Dogs
Vegetable fertilizers can be toxic to dogs; however, it depends on the type of fertilizer and its ingredients. It also depends on the size and weight of your dog, as well as how much fertilizer was eaten.
Symptoms of Fertilizer Poisoning in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten fertilizer:
- Abdominal pain
- Stiff walking
- Gums are not the right color
- Difficult breathing
The variety of possible symptoms is due to the different types of vegetable fertilizers and their ingredients. Some fertilizers can lead to bowel obstruction, constipation, and even impaction, along with poisoning from insecticides and more.
So, if you find that your dog has eaten vegetable fertilizer, the first thing to do is check your dog. Does he have any symptoms? Next, write down the brand and ingredients of the vegetable fertilizer. Finally, call the vet right away and explain what’s happened, your canine companion’s symptoms, as well as the name, etc., of the fertilizer.
The vet will be able to provide you with the best guidance on how to help your dog. In many cases, they will want to see and treat your dog right away. So, don’t wait. Get your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Doing so may keep him from becoming sick, and it could even save his life.