My Dog Ate an Ink Pen What Should I Do?
Dogs are not known for their good sense when it comes to eating just any old thing that they find appealing. Be it a dead animal they’ve found, skins from baked potatoes he may find in the trash and more. Dogs will try almost anything, even ink pens!
The good news is that the ink in most pens is not toxic to dogs, if eaten only in small amounts. However, the plastic of the pen can present a health problem to your fur baby.
Symptoms of Ink Poisoning in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
If your fur baby eats a large number of pens, he may develop ink poisoning. The symptoms to watch for include:
- Lack of appetite
- Non-responsive behavior
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Mouth irritation
If your dog has ingested some ink, then it will be important to observe him for any of the symptoms listed above.
You may need to take your fur baby to the vet for treatment.
Treatment of Ink Poisoning in Dogs
The vet may try to induce vomiting if your dog ingested the ink only a short time before. They may also give your dog activated charcoal, which will keep the ink from being absorbed into your canine companion’s intestines.
The prognosis is very good for your fur baby—chances are he will not suffer any ill effects from eating a small amount of ink. And if he did have a lot of ink, then quick treatment will ensure he’ll be OK.
Bowel Obstruction from Pen’s Plastic Casing
The other health problem you’ll need to watch for is a bowel obstruction caused by the pen’s plastic casing. The plastic can become lodged in your dog’s intestines, causing a blockage. This is a medical emergency.
Symptoms & Treatment of a Bowel Obstruction in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Your fur baby may exhibit some of these symptoms if he has an intestinal blockage:
- Bloating and abdominal pain
- Lack of appetite
- Hunching and/or whining (from pain and discomfort)
If you observe these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. At the vet’s, they will examine your fur baby and will run blood tests and mostly likely imaging tests, too. The imaging tests help the vet to see where the plastic is causing the blockage. Treatment will depend on where the plastic is lodged. Your canine companion may require surgery to relieve the blockage.
In most cases, when the dog receives prompt medical attention, the prognosis is very good. These dogs can go on to live happy, long lives afterwards.
In all cases, it’s best to keep pens out of your dog’s reach. Accidents do happen, so if your fur baby has eaten ink or the pen casing, be sure to call the vet immediately. Fast treatment could save your fur baby’s life.