My Dog Ate Klonopin What Should I Do?

By Julie •  Updated: 09/20/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Does someone in your home, even your dog, require the medication klonopin? This is a medication that’s often used for humans, and sometimes even off-label for dogs. If not taken in the right doses, or when taken accidentally, it can cause side effects in dogs.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is Klonopin?

Klonopin is an anticonvulsant, or antiepileptic, medication. It is used to treat seizures, panic attacks, and more. It’s used to treat anxiety and as a muscle relaxant.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

This medication is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. You may also see this medication with other names including:

This medication is also sometimes prescribed for off-label use in dogs and cats for conditions such as panic attacks, fears and phobias (such as thunderstorms & separation anxiety), seizures, and more. Klonopin is usually given only when needed and are quick to take effect.

Benzodiazepine Poisoning in Dogs

If your fur baby has eaten one of your pills or more than one of his own, there’s a chance he could be poisoned if the dose was too high. Dogs are forever getting into things they shouldn’t, including medications.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

It may be your dog has found your prescription bottle and decided it looked like a good chew toy. Or he could have done the same with his klonopin prescription packaging. It’s also possible that if you happened to drop a tablet that your canine companion found it and ate it. This is how overdosing or poisoning can happen.

Symptoms of Klonopin Overdose in Dogs

Klonopin and other benzodiazepines act quickly after they’re taken. If your fur baby has eaten some medication, you may notice symptoms appear fairly quickly. These can include:

The symptoms your dog experiences will be directly related to the amount of the klonopin he has ingested. This means that the more medication that’s been taken, the more severe the symptoms will be.

If you believe your dog has ingested klonopin, then please call your vet immediately. This could be a medical emergency, which could even lead to death.

The good news is that with prompt treatment, your dog has an excellent chance at a full recovery. The sooner he receives treatment, the better.

(Visited 1,185 times, 1 visits today)

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]