My Dog Ate Something Poisonous What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 03/20/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Has your dog gotten into something poisonous and eaten it? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. The first thing we need to let you know is not to panic. Remember your dog is completely dependent on you for his care. He needs you now more than ever. So, stay as calm as possible to help your fur baby.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

We’ve put together some information on what you need to do if your dog has ingested a toxin. Let’s get started.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Identify the Toxin

The first thing is to identify the toxin, if possible. Did your dog eat a plant, some moldy food, or a dead thing he found outside? Try to find out what he’s eaten and how much of the poison your dog may have eaten. This can be difficult but do your best to figure out what it was.

Is there any packaging left? If so, this will be helpful for the vet.

Try to determine how long ago your dog at the toxin.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

When you have all this information together, then it’s time to call the vet immediately. Don’t wait to see if your dog develops any symptoms or not. If he does, it could be too late for the vet to save him.

Never induce vomiting unless the vet instructs you to do so.

Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten anything poisonous:

If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.

Treatment of Poisoning in Dogs

The treatment your dog receives will depend on the type of poison your dog ingested. The vet may induce vomiting, give your dog activated charcoal and other medications to remove the toxin from his system. And in some cases, there may be a specific antidote available the vet will use.

In most cases, your fur baby will need an IV. This is used to rehydrate, balance electrolytes, and give your dog medications to treat symptoms. Your dog will probably have to stay in the hospital for a few days to be monitored. The vet will want to make sure he’s recovering, and no new symptoms show up.

The key here is to get your dog treated as soon as possible after he’s been poisoned. When a dog is treated ASAP, he will have a higher chance of recovering and living a long, full life afterward.

(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]