Do you use ammonium bicarbonate in the kitchen? If so, you may want to read this! Dogs are curious beings, especially in the kitchen. When they find something that’s appealing them, such as ammonium bicarbonate, it’s not uncommon for them to eat it! But what happens if a dog eats ammonium bicarbonate?
Has your dog eaten ammonium bicarbonate? Are you worried that ammonium bicarbonate will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about ammonium bicarbonate and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Ammonium Bicarbonate?
Ammonium bicarbonate is a substance that’s a bicarbonate salt of the ammonium ion. It’s a colorless solid which degrades quickly to carbon dioxide, water, and ammonia. This substance is also known as “salt of hartshorn” and may be referred to in older recipes that call for this ingredient!
Ammonium bicarbonate is still used in the food industry as a leavening agent for flat baked goods, such as crackers and cookers. However, today, the ingredient has been replaced by baking powder. Even so, older cookbooks and cookbooks from Scandinavian countries may list ammonium bicarbonate (hartshorn or hornsalt) as an ingredient.
While ammonium bicarbonate can be safe when used as directed, what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats ammonium bicarbonate?
Ammonium Bicarbonate & Dogs
Fortunately, ammonium bicarbonate is safe for dogs unless they’ve eaten a large amount of this substance.
The problem with ammonium bicarbonate and other leavening agents is that if eaten, the substances release gasses when they react with moisture (such as the acid in a dog’s stomach).
Symptoms of Ammonium Bicarbonate Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten ammonium bicarbonate:
- Congestive heart failure
- Muscle spasms
- Low potassium/calcium
- High sodium levels
- Lung/skin irritation
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Ammonium Bicarbonate Ingestion in Dogs
We could not find specific information on how a vet would treat ammonium bicarbonate ingestion in dogs. However, the vet would try to remove the toxin from the dog’s system with activated charcoal and flush the dog’s system with IV fluids.
The vet would treat other symptoms as they arise, including skin and lung irritation, GI tract issues, and more.
We could not find information about the prognosis for dogs who eat ammonium bicarbonate. However, when a dog needs medical care and receives it ASAP, he has a much better chance of making a full recovery.
In the future, it’s best to keep ammonium bicarbonate and other household chemicals out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!