My Dog Ate Gummy Worms What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 04/24/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Dog Ate Gummy Worms What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Do you or your kids love gummy worms? You’re not alone, as these are popular candies with many people of all ages! However, what happens if your dog eats gummy worms? Can gummy worms make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten gummy worms? Are you worried the gummy worms could make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand that it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about gummy worms and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Gummy Worms?

Gummy worms are “gummy” candies made in the shapes of worms! Doesn’t that sound appetizing? However, these candies are extremely popular, especially with the younger generations! But what are gummies made of?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Gummy worms are usually made from:

The ingredients between different brands of gummies. And some gummies are made with artificial sweeteners such as xylitol.

What happens if a dog eats gummy worms? Can gummy worms make a dog sick?

Gummy Worms & Dogs

Unfortunately, gummy worms can make your dog pretty sick. Remember, there are two types of gummies—some made with sugar and some made with sugar-free ingredients. Both can make a dog sick.

Too much sugar can cause a dog to develop an upset stomach. If the gummy worms are made with sugar, and your dog has eaten one gummy worm, chances are he will be OK. However, he could get sick (depending on his size and how many gummies he’s eaten). Sugar can cause diarrhea and vomiting in some dogs.

Gummy worms made with some sugar-free ingredients can also make a dog sick. However, those made with xylitol are highly toxic to dogs. If your dog has even one gummy worm that contains xylitol, he could become very sick.

Symptoms of Gummy Worm Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten gummy worms with xylitol:

If your fur baby has eaten gummy worms made with xylitol, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

When you call the vet, make sure to tell them your dog has eaten gummy worms that contain xylitol. They will tell you to bring the dog in immediately.

Your fur baby will likely need to be hospitalized for a few days. There’s no known antidote for xylitol poisoning. The vet will do everything possible to support your dog.

In cases where a dog has eaten gummy worms with sugar, most dogs will make a full recovery. However, dogs that have eaten xylitol have a guarded prognosis. It depends on how much xylitol the dog has ingested and how much damage the toxin does to the dog’s organs.

For these reasons, it’s best to keep all gummy candies away from your dog. Make sure gummies are placed where your canine companion can’t access them.

(Visited 220 times, 4 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]