Dogs are famous for eating things they shouldn’t! They may see their pet parents eating something that looks like a snack. When their pet parents are not around, the dog may go up and grab the food and eat it! This can happen with any food, including citric acid. But can citric acid make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten citric acid? Are you worried the citric acid will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about citric acid and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Citric Acid?
Citric acid is naturally found in citrus fruits, such as lemons, limes, and oranges. This is the substance that gives the fruit its tart, sour taste. Citric acid can also be manufactured and is used as an additive in food, cleaning agents, and nutritional supplements. It’s also used to stabilize and preserve medications and can be used as a disinfectant.
Citric acid is also sold as a white powder that’s used to add a sour taste to food and drinks.
While citric acid can be safe for humans (when used as directed), what happens if a dog eats it? Can citric acid make a dog sick?
Citric Acid & Dogs
Citric acid can be very irritating to a dog’s digestive system. However, in larger amounts, citric acid may cause nervous system depression.
Symptoms of Citric Acid Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten citric acid:
- Pawing at his mouth
- Excessive thirst
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Ulceration around or inside the mouth
- Bluish tinge to skin and mucus membranes
- Redness and burning at the area of contact
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Citric Acid Toxicity in Dogs
The vet may give your dog water to dilute the acid and reduce the damage it’s caused. The vet will also work to treat other symptoms, such as skin irritation. They will give your fur baby medications to stop vomiting and diarrhea, as well as medications to ease the irritation in your dog’s digestive tract.
They will also treat any other symptoms that may arise. Your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical attention after ingesting citric acid. In the future, it’s best to keep citric acid out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!