My Dog Ate A Bolt What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kyoko •  Updated: 04/11/21 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Has your dog swallowed a bolt? Are you worried the bolt could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at what bolts are and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is a Bolt?

A bolt is a metal fastener that’s shaped like a faceted circle. In the middle of the bolt are threads that will allow a screw to be put through the bolt. Bolts are sometimes used to fasten things together, such as a bolted joint in construction. They’re also used in machines to fasten things together. Bolts come in various sizes, which are used for different purposes.

So, can a bolt make your dog sick?

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Bolts & Dogs

Bolts can be dangerous for dogs. It’s possible that a bolt could cause choking or become lodged in the dog’s stomach or intestines. It’s possible a bolt could cause an intestinal blockage, which can be a life-threatening medical condition.

Symptoms of an Intestinal Blockage

You may notice these symptoms if your dog develops an intestinal blockage after swallowing a bolt:

If your dog has swallowed a bolt, it’s best to call the vet before your fur baby has any symptoms. The vet will offer advice and guidance on what needs to happen next. They may take a wait-and-see attitude or may ask to see your dog right away. Whatever the vet advises, be sure to follow that advice closely.

Note: do not induce vomiting unless the vet advises you to do this.

Treatment of an Intestinal Blockage in Dogs

At the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical of your dog. The vet will order lab work, as well as x-rays (or other types of images such as an MRI, etc.). The images will be used to help the vet see where the bolt is located and whether or not it’s causing a blockage.

If the bolt is causing an intestinal blockage, then your fur baby may require emergency surgery. This is done in order to safely remove the blockage.

The good news is that in most cases, a dog who has this surgery will go on to make a complete recovery. The key is to make sure your dog is seen by the vet as soon as possible. It may take a while to recover afterward, but your canine companion should be back to his old self in no time!

(Visited 1,232 times, 2 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading