My Dog Ate Girl Scout Cookies Will He Get Sick?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 07/24/21 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Girl Scout cookies—just about everyone loves to eat them! The cookies are available in many varieties and flavors, too! What’s not to like about Girl Scout cookies? But are they safe for dogs?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten some Girl Scout cookies? Are you worried the Girl Scout cookies will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.

In this article, we’ll take a look at Girl Scout cookies and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Girl Scout Cookies?

Girl Scout cookies are made and sold by the Girl Scouts in the US. The organization uses the funds to support the Girl Scout councils and troops. The cookies have been sold for years. They’re a favorite all around the country!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

There are several types of Girl Scout cookies available:

While many people can safely enjoy Girl Scout cookies, what about dogs? Can Girl Scout cookies make a dog sick?

Girl Scout Cookies & Dogs

Just as with other types of sweet snacks, Girl Scout cookies can make dogs sick. It depends on the ingredients, too, as some of the cookies contain chocolate. Chocolate is a known toxin for dogs. However, the cookies don’t contain that much chocolate. That means a dog who eats a few cookies won’t become dangerously sick; however, he will develop digestive problems.

In addition, the cookies contain high amounts of fat and sugar, both of which can make dogs very sick. The sugar can make a dog have a digestive issue, while the fat can cause pancreatitis.

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten cookies that contain chocolate:

Keep in mind that the dog’s symptoms are based on his size and weight, as well as how many cookies he’s eaten. In most cases, a small dog would have to eat 23 cookies or more in order to develop chocolate poisoning from Girl Scout cookies. At the very least, however, a dog may develop diarrhea and vomiting. These should last only a short time. If the diarrhea and vomiting last longer than 24 hours, then it’s time to call the vet.

And if your dog develops severe symptoms (such as the last ones on the list), then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Pancreatitis symptoms may be somewhat similar. Your dog may develop these symptoms if he’s eaten too many Girl Scout cookies:

It is possible for the attack to become severe and life-threatening. So, if your dog shows these symptoms, call the vet immediately. Left untreated, pancreatitis can lead to death.

As you can see, it’s best to keep Girl Scout cookies (and other sugary, chocolatey snacks) out of your dog’s reach!

(Visited 1,811 times, 3 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading