My Dog Ate Tar What Should I Do?
Tar is a very common substance used to make repairs to streets and roads. You may be wondering why on earth would a dog eat tar. Well, the answer isn’t very clear. However, it is a fact that dogs are not very discerning in what they choose to eat!
It could happen that a dog walked through warm tar and ended up with the substance on his paws. Or maybe he was just curious about that stuff he found on the ground. It’s really hard to say! But can tar make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten tar? Are you worried the tar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about tar and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Tar?
Tar is a black or brown thick liquid made of hydrocarbons. It can be made from coal, wood, petroleum, or peat. These products must first be distilled to create tar.
Tar can be used in many ways. For instance, it can be used to seal roofing tiles, seal the hulls of ships & boats, and more. It can also be used as a disinfectant, believe it or not! Tar can also be used to repair and seal roads.
When used on roads, tar is usually heated to make it easier to spread. Unfortunately, it’s hot enough to burn the skin.
Can tar make a dog sick?
Tar & Dogs
Unfortunately, tar can make a dog sick. One of the easiest ways for a dog to ingest tar is by walking in warm tar. The tar will be warm enough so that it sticks to the dog’s fur and paws. Once the dog is off the tar, he may notice his feet are burnt, and/or the tar is irritating his skin and pulling his fur.
In an effort to remove the tar, a dog uses his teeth to remove the substance from his paws and fur. Tar is toxic to dogs if swallowed and can make a dog very sick.
Symptoms of Tar Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats tar:
- Burns on his paws (and possibly on his tongue and surfaces of the mouth)
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Problems with the heart & blood
- CNS depression
- And more
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This may be an emergency.
The good news is that dogs can make a full recovery after ingesting tar. However, the key is to get them medical treatment ASAP. Your dog’s life depends on it!