My Dog Ate Too Many Treats What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 03/05/21 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Treats are a great part of life for dogs and humans. We both enjoy treats of all kinds. Dogs love just about any type of treat, from cookies to dog bones; they’ll be happy to have a snack any time!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

But what happens if your dog has too many treats? Can too many treats make your dog sick?

In this article, we’ll take a look at how treats can affect your dog and what you need to do if treats do make him sick.

Too Many Treats for Dogs

What happens when your dog eats too many treats? The answer depends on the type of treat your dog ate and how many of them.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

For instance, if your dog has eaten a bunch of candy, then he could become sick from too much sugar. Too much sugar can lead to severe gas, cramping, and diarrhea. Some dogs may also become nauseated and vomit. What’s more, some dogs may develop pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) from eating too much sugar. This is a potentially fatal condition, which may take from one to two days before symptoms show up.

Another problem is that too many treats, on a regular basis, can cause a dog to become overweight or obese. Obesity can lead to heart disease and other serious health problems.

Some dogs are allergic to certain ingredients that may be found in candy. An allergic reaction can be caused by corn, soy, or wheat. It can also be caused by nuts, additives, dyes, and artificial flavors. There are even dogs who are allergic to certain proteins, such as poultry. This is rarer, but it is a possibility. Another common allergen is dairy products, including milk, butter, and cheese.

It’s also possible to buy dog treats that are tainted or made of low-quality ingredients. Some treats that come from outside the country have been implicated in dog poisonings. For this reason, it’s best to only buy treats made in the US.

Other ingredients that are toxic for dogs include all plants from the Allium family (including garlic & onion), avocados, coffee (beans, grounds, and more), grapes, hops, moldy foods or treats, salt, tea, walnuts, and more. These can make a dog very sick.

One more issue is sweets that contain xylitol. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is used as a sugar substitute for humans. While it seems safe for humans, xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs.

Symptoms of Treats Making Dogs Sick

If your dog has too many treats, is allergic to any ingredients, or eats something toxic, you may notice these symptoms:


Toxic substances:

Allergies and eating toxic ingredients are extremely dangerous to your dog’s health. If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency. Your dog needs medical treatment now.

The prognosis for these health issues is very good if a dog receives prompt medical treatment. It can take time to recover, but most dogs will go on to make a full recovery.

(Visited 4,424 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading