Don’t you just love a warm Duncan Hines brownie with a little ice cream on the side? Brownies can be a great snack or even a dessert! However, what happens if a dog eats Duncan Hines Brownies?
Has your dog eaten Duncan Hines brownies? Are you worried the Duncan Hines brownies will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about Duncan Hines brownies and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Duncan Hines Brownies?
Duncan Hines brownies are made by the company of the same name (minus the “brownies,” of course!). The company was by Duncan Hines, who was an American pioneer of restaurant ratings for travelers! However, he’s best known for the brand of food products he created.
Today, Duncan Hines is owned by Conagra Brands. They produce the Duncan Hines line of products that includes cake mixes, brownie mixes, frostings, and pie fillings. The brand continues to be popular these days, with many pet parents enjoying Duncan Hines brownies!
Duncan Hines brownies contain the following ingredients:
- Enriched bleached wheat flour
- Cocoa powder
- Wheat starch
- Artificial flavor
- Baking soda
While humans can safely enjoy Duncan Hines brownies in moderation, what about dogs?
Duncan Hines Brownies & Dogs
Unfortunately, Duncan Hines brownies can make dogs very sick. For one thing, brownies contain a lot of chocolate, which is toxic to dogs. Next, the product contains a high amount of sugar and fat, which is also harmful to dogs. Dogs should not be allowed to eat Duncan Hines brownies.
If your fur baby has had one small lick of a brownie, chances are he will be OK. However, if your dog has eaten a larger amount of brownie, he could become very sick.
Has your dog eaten one brownie? Then he should be OK; however, he may develop diarrhea and vomiting. In that case, if the symptoms last longer than 24 hours, then call the vet right away. There’s a concern your dog could become dehydrated, especially if he can’t keep water down.
If your dog has eaten more than one brownie, then it’s best to call the vet right away. Don’t wait to see if your dog develops symptoms or if the symptoms worsen/improve. It’s best to get your dog seen before he develops symptoms.
The vet may induce vomiting, use activated charcoal or other decontamination methods to remove the toxins from your dog’s system. Your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical treatment have a great chance of making a full recovery. And in the future, be sure to keep Duncan Hines brownies out of your dog’s reach!
JulieJulie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now