My Dog Ate Chocolate Chips What Should I Do?
Chocolate chips are a yummy invention that turned cookies into small bites of heaven! Some people even love eating chocolate chips on vanilla ice cream and other foods. And you can bet if your dog sees you eating chocolate chips, he will want some, too! But are chocolate chips safe for dogs?
Has your dog eaten chocolate chips? Are you worried the chocolate chips will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about chocolate chips and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Chocolate Chips?
Chocolate chips are small, round bits of chocolate that may be dark, semi-sweet, milk, or white chocolate. These small, yummy rounds of chocolate are made, so they don’t melt too much when heated. Instead, they retain their shape and texture in cookies and other baked goods.
The chips are most often used in recipes for cookies and brownies. However, you can also find chocolate chips used in trail mix, pancakes, and more.
While chocolate chips are safe for humans to enjoy (in moderation), what about dogs? Can chocolate chips make a dog sick?
Chocolate Chips & Dogs
Unfortunately, chocolate chips are toxic to dogs. How can that be when chocolate tastes so great? The problem is that our great-tasting chocolate contains two substances that are toxic to dogs. These substances are theobromine and caffeine.
Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine and caffeine. That means these substances stay in the dog’s system for a long time, where they can cause organ damage. Theobromine and caffeine both act in the same way—they act as heart stimulants, diuretics, and smooth muscle relaxants.
What’s more, levels of theobromine and caffeine vary in different types of chocolate. Cocoa powder & baking chocolate contain the highest level of these substances, followed in order by dark chocolate, semi-sweet, milk, and white chocolate.
One note: if your dog has one or two chocolate chips, chances are he will be OK. Be sure to monitor him for symptoms (see below). And do call the vet if you’re worried your fur baby may become sick.
Symptoms of Chocolate Chip Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten chocolate chips:
- Increased thirst & urination
- Racing heart
- Muscle tremors
- Heart failure
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Chocolate Chip Toxicity in Dogs
Treatment depends on the amount and type of chocolate chips your fur baby has eaten. In some cases, it may be necessary for your dog to be hospitalized to monitor his condition. However, the prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment.
Chocolate chips are yummy for us, but be sure to keep them out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it! And if he really wants some chocolate chips, you might consider buying some carob chips for dogs. These are completely safe, and your dog will think he has the same chocolate you do!