Candy bars are one of those treats that most humans love! What’s not to love in a candy bar? Even if you have allergies to certain foods, it’s usually possible to find a candy bar without those ingredients. That’s great news for anyone who loves these treats! But what happens if a dog eats a candy bar?
Has your dog eaten a candy bar? Are you worried the candy bar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about candy bars and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Candy Bar?
A candy bar is a candy that’s shaped like a bar and is usually covered with chocolate. Candy bars can also include a wide range of other ingredients, including nuts, caramel, nougat, and more. And there are candy bars that are solid chocolate (yum!).
Candy bars come in a wide variety of sizes and are made by a wide range of companies.
While candy bars are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can a candy bar make a dog sick?
Candy Bars & Dogs
Unfortunately, candy bars can make dogs very sick. For one thing, if the candy bar includes chocolate, this can be very dangerous. Chocolate is highly toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are not safe for dogs. Our canine companions are not able to metabolize these substances.
In addition, some other ingredients can also be toxic to dogs, including the following nuts:
- Macadamia nuts
- Walnuts (not toxic—but they contain a lot of fat that can be dangerous for dogs)
- Hickory nuts (not toxic; however, they can contain harmful mold that can make dogs very sick)
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a candy bar:
- Increased thirst & urination
- Rapid breathing
- Excessive drooling
- Tremors or seizures
If your dog shows any of these (or other concerning symptoms), call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Be sure to note the name of the candy bar and its ingredients. This information can help the vet determine the best treatment for your canine companion.
Treatment of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
The vet will decontaminate your dog’s body by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal. They may also use a medication that can make a dog vomit. The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise.
Depending on the severity of your dog’s symptoms, he may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.
Candy bars can make dogs very sick or even cause death. The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment after eating a candy bar.
If your dog loves eating chocolate and candy bars, it’s best to keep these out of your dog’s reach. And never leave them unattended. Prevention is always the best medicine!