My Dog Ate a Pancake Will He Get Sick?
Do you enjoy making a large breakfast on the weekends? Who doesn’t love the small of pancakes on the griddle, warmed maple syrup, and baking frying in the pan? The smell wafts through the house and you just can’t wait to have breakfast! Doesn’t the very thought make you hungry?
Pancakes are yummy—there’s no getting around that! And your dog is probably tempted by the smells, too! But should you give him a pancake? Are pancake safe for dogs? The answer is that it depends.
Are Pancakes Safe for Dogs?Check Price on Amazon
A small bite of plain pancake is probably just fine for your fur baby. However, if he has wheat allergies or intolerance, he could get sick even from just one bite of pancake. The same is true if your canine companion has a dairy allergy or intolerance, as most pancakes (even mixes) contain milk.
Other ingredients in the pancake mix or recipe can also cause problems for dogs including:
- Syrup: any type of syrup is too sugary for dogs
- Chocolate chips: as chocolate is toxic to dogs
- Butter/whipped cream: are dairy products that could cause a problem for dogs that are allergic or have a dairy intolerance
- Grapes: are not normally included in a pancake recipe but may be served as fruit on the side. These are also toxic for dogs.
- Wheat flour: some dogs are allergic to wheat, just like some humans
- Nuts: dogs can even be allergic to nuts
So, if you would like to give your fur baby pancakes, first check the recipe or the ingredients on a mix to ensure everything is safe for your dog. As long as he doesn’t have allergies or an intolerance, then one piece of plain pancake probably will be OK. Just watch for signs he isn’t feeling well, which could include:
- Excessive drooling
- Lack of appetite
- Swelling of the face/tongue
- Breathing difficulties
- Itching all over/red irritated skin
If your fur baby has a stomachache and diarrhea that lasts longer than 24 hours, it’s a good idea to call the vet. And if your dog develops any of the last three symptoms in the list above, then call the vet immediately. Your dog is having a severe allergic reaction and needs treatment as soon as possible.Check Price on Amazon
Simple Pancake Recipe for Dogs
If your dog is not allergic to wheat flour, then try this simple pancake recipe for dogs:
- 2 tablespoons flour (if your dog’s allergic to wheat, you might try white rice flour; find it in the gluten free section of most grocery stores)
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 bananas
- A small amount of sunflower oil
- Note: if the batter is too thick, you may need to add a little water to the mix
1). In a medium bowl, smash up the banana and mix in the eggs.
2). Stir in flour.
3). Heat nonstick pan or griddle and baste it with sunflower oil.
4). Add a couple tablespoons (or more, if you’d like the pancakes to be larger) into the pan.
5). Cook on one side until bubbles appear around the edges and the pancake bottom is a golden brown. Then flip and allow the other side to cook until it’s also a golden brown.
7). Allow them to cool for a couple of minutes, and then serve to your dog. Watch him snarf them down!
We hope your dog enjoys these dog-safe pancakes!