My Dog Ate Dove Chocolate What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kyoko •  Updated: 12/18/22 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate Dove Chocolate What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Who doesn’t love chocolate? Well, there probably are people who don’t like it too much. However, the vast majority of people seem to enjoy chocolate in some form! And dogs seem to love chocolate almost as much as we do. Some dogs can’t seem to resist any type of chocolate, including Dove chocolate. But what happens if a dog eats Dove chocolate?

Has your dog eaten Dove chocolate? Are you worried that the Dove chocolate could make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when something like this happens.

We’ve gathered information about Dove chocolate and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Dove Chocolate?

Dove chocolate is a brand of candy manufactured and sold by the Mars company. They produce a wide variety of chocolate candies and other products. Some Dove chocolate candies are individually wrapped in thin foil. They also make candy bars, ice cream, and more.

While Dove chocolate is safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can dogs eat Dove chocolate?

Dove Chocolate & Dogs

Unfortunately, Dove and other brands of chocolate are toxic to dogs. All kinds of chocolate are toxic, though some are worse than others. For instance, baker’s chocolate is the worst, while white chocolate is not very toxic to dogs.

The danger comes from two compounds found in chocolate, which are theobromine and caffeine. Dogs are not able to metabolize these substances. That means theobromine and caffeine stay in the dog’s system for a long time, where they can cause organ damage and other problems.

The level of toxicity of Dove or other brands of chocolate depends on the type of chocolate, how much the dog has eaten, and the dog’s weight. A dog only needs to eat 20mg of chocolate per pound of body weight to have a toxic reaction.

Symptoms of Dove Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Dove chocolate:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Try to determine how much Dove chocolate your dog has eaten. Write down the brand name (the full name of the product), too. This information can help the vet.

Treatment of Dove Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

Treatment of dove chocolate toxicity depends on the amount and type of chocolate eaten. If your dog recently ate the chocolate, the vet will work to decontaminate your fur baby’s system by inducing vomiting and using activated charcoal.

The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise. In most cases, your canine companion will need an IV for fluids and to administer medications. It’s also possible your dog may need to be hospitalized for a time until his condition is stable.

The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment after eating chocolate. While chocolate toxicity can cause death, this is not common. But it’s imperative that a dog receives treatment as soon as possible after eating Dove or other chocolate candy.

In the future, it’s best to keep all chocolate out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 213 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading