My Dog Ate Bees What Should I Do?
Does your dog like to chase bees and other flying things? Then you may want to read this. We were very surprised to find that dogs eating bees is a very common problem!
Why do dogs chase bees? Well, they may like the challenge of catching something that’s so fast. Some dogs are lightning-fast when it comes to catching insects and bees! However, dogs may not realize that bees can hurt them. So, what happens if a dog eats bees?
Has your dog eaten bees? Are you worried the bees will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about bees and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Bees?
Bees are flying insects that are related to wasps and ants. They work to pollinate flowers and are integral to the foods we eat. They also create wonderful honey, which many people love to eat. Did you know there are over 16,000 types of bees?
What’s more, bees are found on every continent except Antarctica. How amazing is that?
But what happens if a dog eats bees? Can the bees make a dog sick?
Bees & Dogs
First, bees are not exactly toxic to dogs. However, they may carry venom. When bees are scared or fighting for their lives, they may sting whatever is after them, including a dog. And if a dog eats bees, there’s a chance the bees could sting the inside of the dog’s mouth or esophagus, releasing a large amount of venom (from several bees).
In this case, the bees could make your dog sick. The issue is if the dog is allergic to bee venom. If so, then he will have an allergic reaction. Some dogs could even develop an anaphylactic reaction. This is a severe type of allergic reaction that can end in death if not treated.
Symptoms of Bee Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten bees:
- Swelling of the mouth/nose area
- Trouble breathing
- Unusually sleepy and/or uncoordinated
If you notice these symptoms after your dog has eaten bees, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Let the vet know what’s happened and about what time your dog ate the bees. The vet will have you bring your fur baby to the office. There they will treat your dog for an allergic reaction to the bee venom. The vet has medications that can help treat the severe reaction right away, saving your dog’s life.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical care. So, make sure to get your dog to the vet ASAP!