Russel Stover is famous for its chocolate treats! Who doesn’t love their products! You can give Russel Stover as a gift for almost every occasion, including holidays, birthdays, and more. But what happens if your dog finds your stash of Russel Stover’s and eats some or all of these treats? Can Russel Stover’s products make your dog sick?
Has your dog eaten Russell Stover chocolates? Are you worried the Russell Stover chocolates will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about Russell Stover and whether their products can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Russell Stover Chocolates?
Russell Stover is a company that’s been making chocolate candies since 1923. That’s a long time! This American company is famous for its chocolate. The company makes a wide variety of chocolate treats for holidays and more.
Some Russell Stover products are made with milk chocolate or dark chocolate. Other ingredients can include sugar, artificial sweeteners, nuts, and more.
While Russell Stover chocolates are safe for humans (in moderation), what happens if a dog eats these candies?
Russell Stover Chocolates & Dogs
Unfortunately, Russell Stover chocolates can be toxic to dogs. The main problem is the chocolate, as this is highly toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains substances that make a dog very sick. These include theobromine & caffeine. Dogs are not able to metabolize these substances. That means theobromine and caffeine stay in the dog’s system for a long time. They can cause damage to the liver and more.
In addition, milk chocolate is not as toxic as dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is much more toxic. What’s more, the level of toxicity for these chocolates depends on how much a dog eats and his weight. In general, the more chocolate a dog eats, the more toxic the chocolate is to his system.
While the company does use artificial sweeteners in their sugar-free products, the good news these are not toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of Russell Stover Chocolates Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Russell Stover chocolates:
- Drooling excessively
- Extreme thirst & increased urination
- Muscle tremors
If your dog has any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs
The vet will first work to decontaminate your dog’s system. They may do this by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal.
Next, the vet may give your dog an IV with fluids and administer medications. They will then treat other symptoms as they arise. This can include medications to treat seizures, heart issues, and more. In some cases, your fur baby may also require supplemental oxygen.
Depending on the severity of your dog’s symptoms, he may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt treatment after eating chocolate. In the future, it’s best to keep Russel Stovers chocolate and other chocolate out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine and the best way to ensure your dog stays healthy and happy!