My Dog Ate Body Wash What Should I Do?
Has your dog eaten body wash? Are you worried the body wash could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at body wash, its ingredients, and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started.
What is Body Wash?
Body wash, also called shower gel, is a liquid soap that’s used to clean the body like soap. This is not liquid soap. The difference is that body wash uses synthetic detergents, which come from plant or petroleum sources. Soap, on the other hand, contains saponified oil.
Another difference between body wash and soap is that body wash has a lower pH than soap. This means the shower gel may be less drying and irritating to sensitive skin.
Body wash contains certain ingredients, including:
- Sodium laureth sulfate
Other ingredients may include perfumes and other chemicals; however, the basic ingredients are pretty much the same.
What happens if your dog ingests body wash? Will body wash make your dog sick?
Body Wash & Dogs
The short answer is yes, body wash can make your dog sick. If your dog has one small lick of a body wash, chances are he will suffer no ill effects. However, if he has a larger amount, he could become sick.
The ingredient(s) that can make a dog sick are the surfactants. When this happens, it’s called detergent poisoning.
Symptoms of Detergent Poisoning in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested body wash:
- Gastrointestinal lesions
- Lack of appetite
- Swollen abdomen
- Burns or lesions near the mouth
- Excessive drooling
- Muscle weakness
- Eye irritation
- Skin irritation
- Hair loss
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.
Note: do not induce vomiting unless the vet instructs you to do so.
Treatment for Body Wash Poisoning in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will give your dog a complete physical exam. They will also do lab work and possibly some other tests.
Treatment will then depend on the type of body wash and its ingredients. For severe poisoning, your fur baby may have to stay in the hospital for a few days for observation.
The good news is that with prompt treatment, your dog can go on to make a full recovery. This depends on getting him to the vet as soon as possible, as well as on your dog’s overall health and age.