My Dog Ate a Phone Cord or Charger What Should I Do? (Answered by Vet)

By Aisling O'Keeffe, MVB CertSAM ISFMCertAdvFB •  Updated: 12/14/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

dog ate phone charger

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

If you’re like most people, you have a nice assortment of phone cords and charger cables lying around. And if you have a family, that means that there are even more cords and cables around the house. That’s usually not a problem, except that sometimes dogs are drawn to eating things like cords and cables.

Dogs Eating Foreign Objects

Dogs are known for eating a wide variety of things including food and non-food items. When it comes to non-food items, vets have found all sorts of things inside dogs including:

When dogs eat something that’s a non-food item, then the item is called a “foreign object” or “foreign body”. A foreign object is just a fancy name for that non-food item your dog may have eaten.

The Dangers of Foreign Objects in Dogs

The obvious dangers include toxic substances, but also include the development of an intestinal blockage. Sometimes a dog will eat a foreign object, such as a phone cord or charger, and then vomit it back up. Other times, the foreign object will pass on through the stomach and into the intestines.

Once inside the intestines, the non-food item can cause something called an intestinal blockage. This is when something becomes stuck in the intestines and nothing can move. If the dog eats, the food stays ahead of the foreign object and they may vomit. An intestinal blockage is a very dangerous medical condition, which can lead to death if not treated promptly.

Phone Cords, Chargers and Dogs

It may be that your dog has eaten only a portion of the cord or charger cable; however, it’s also possible he’s snarfed down the entire cable. Either way, your fur baby can become very sick. Not only can this cause an intestinal blockage, but the cord or cable can wrap up the intestines.

Sometimes if a dog eats something like a cable, you may notice that part of it may be sticking out from your dog’s behind. The temptation is to “help” your dog by pulling the cable out. However, this is the worst thing you could do. The reason is that the pressure applied when pulling out the cable could cause the intestines to tear, which could quickly cause death to your dog.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Phone Cable or Charger

If you suspect or know for sure that your dog’s eaten a cable or charger, then please call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening health issue, which requires treatment as soon as possible.

The vet will explain what you need to do next, and the next steps in helping your dog. Don’t wait for this to resolve itself. Call the vet right away—you may just save your dog’s life.

CheckedbyVets stamp

(Visited 22,101 times, 10 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Aisling O'Keeffe, MVB CertSAM ISFMCertAdvFB

This article has been reviewed and approved by an independent Veterinarian: Aisling qualified as a vet 7 years ago from University College Dublin. She has worked in a mixture of UK small animal hospitals along with Irish practices. She worked for 3 years in a feline-only hospital where she further developed her feline medicine and surgery skills. She currently lives and works in a small animal hospital in Cork, Ireland. Aisling's full professional bio is available here.

Keep Reading