My Dog Ate Muscle Relaxer What Should I Do?
Has your dog swallowed a muscle relaxer? Are you worried the muscle relaxer will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a quick look at muscle relaxers and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Muscle Relaxer?
Muscle relaxers medications that work to relax muscle spasms caused by a wide range of medical conditions. Muscle spasms can cause twitching and contracting of muscles, which creates pain, as well as stiffness.
Muscle relaxers can have various side effects, including drowsiness, balance issues, and more.
Some of the most commonly prescribed muscle relaxers include:
- Benzodiazepines (Valium, Restoril)
While muscle relaxers are often prescribed to humans, can they make a dog sick? Can muscle relaxers be harmful to dogs? Can muscle relaxers make your dog sick?
Muscle Relaxers & Dogs
Certain muscle relaxers that are prescribed for humans are also sometimes prescribed for dogs. However, the dosage will be smaller for dogs than for humans.
This means you should never give your dog a muscle relaxer that’s been prescribed for you or another person in your home. Too much of the medication can cause an overdose or even toxic to your dog.
Symptoms of Muscle Relaxer Overdose/Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has had a muscle relaxer:
- Respiratory failure
- Dilated pupils
- Slow heartbeat
If you know or suspect that your dog has ingested a muscle relaxer, then call the vet immediately. This could be a medical emergency.
Be sure to take the medication bottle with you to the vet’s. They will want to know the name and dose of the medication your fur baby has eaten.
Treatment of Muscle Relaxer Overdose/Toxicity in Dogs
When you reach the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical on your dog. They will also do lab work and some other tests. The vet will also check your dog’s respiratory system and heart.
The vet may choose to induce vomiting, use activated charcoal or gastric lavage to help remove the medication from your dog’s system.
In addition, your fur baby may need an IV, which makes it easier to rehydrate your dog and provide medications he may need. Your dog may also need to spend a few days in the hospital for his condition to be monitored closely.
Recovery will depend on how much of the medication your canine companion has had. Prompt treatment is key to saving your dog’s life.