Dog Collars – What You Need To Know in 2021
If you are looking for a collar for your dog, you will find a lot of types made with different materials. Therefore, it becomes hard to choose one for your dog. A perfect dog collar can make your canine more beautiful and handsome. There are a lot of benefits of using a dog collar. Some use it for protecting dogs; some use it for medical purposes, etc. Besides, many pet owners use collars to give an identity to dogs. However, it is hard to choose a perfect collar for your dog, whatever the purpose is. If you randomly buy one, then you are making a mistake. Therefore, you should know about dog collars in broad so that you can find the best collar for your dog that suits him and is comfortable for him. This article will learn about different types of dog collar, their purposes, and how to choose a collar for your dog.
How to measure a dog collar size
It is important to get a perfect collar for your dog. Therefore, you should measure the neck size of your dog. Otherwise, you will end up with a smaller or bigger dog collar. You can use a measuring tape to measure the size of the dog’s neck. At first, wrap the tape around the dog’s neck, then add two inches extra with what you got in the measurement tape. Because you don’t want to watch your dog is choking or struggling with the collar. Besides, it also ensures that the collar won’t slip out from the dog’s neck. So, in this method, you will get the perfect size for your dog’s collar.
The second important thing is, ensure that there are two fingers different between the collar and the neck. It is a good practice to check it regularly because the dog grows faster. So, it will help you to determine when you should change the collar. A good idea is to use an adjustable collar. So that you can change the size according to the dog’s neck size when it is needed. Moreover, it will reduce the cost of spending extra money on the collar.
Types of Collar
- Leather Collar: The most common type of dog collars is lather collars. It is durable and long-lasting than other types of collars. As it is made from a natural element, it won’t cause harm to your dog. Besides, they are affordable to purchase.
- Martingale Collar: A martingale collar is useful for those dogs that are hard to control. For example, a greyhound can easily slip out from the basic flat collars. But a martingale collar tightens the neck when the dog tries to remove the collar.
- Choke Chain: It is mostly used in dog training. This collar is not useful for your house dog. It is normally made of chain links. So, whenever a dog pulls the collar to take it out, the chains tighten the neck.
- Tracking Collar: A tracking collar becomes helpful to find your dog if it is lost. There is a small GPS chip inside the collar so that the owner can locate his dog easily. Therefore, if you live in an open area, you can easily keep your eyes on your dog.
Importance of Dog Collars
Dog collar is not a modern item. In ancient times, people used ropes or chains to tie their dogs. But today, there are changes in accessories as well as dog accessories. Now people use different types of collars for different purposes. Each collar comes with a variety of colors and different materials. Each collar serves different purposes. Here is the importance of dog collars
- A dog collar helps the owner to control his furry friend. Sometimes, when you go for a walk, your dog can run randomly because of curiosity. Therefore a collar can help you to control his movement.
- Collar helps dogs in getting perfect training. Most of the time, dog trainers use collars to guide a dog. A dog trainer uses a dog collar until the dog becomes master in his training.
- For medical purposes, a dog owner also uses a dog collar. To prevent the dog from excessive barking, there are different types of collars in the market to correct behavior. You can use one according to your vet’s suggestion.
- A dog collar provides safety to a dog. Because when the dog owner controls his dog with the collar, it reduces the chances of unpleasant events. Therefore, using a dog collar can enhance your dog’s safety.
- To provide an identity to the dog, dog owners use dog collars. Most dog collars have the option of using tags. It includes the dog’s name, address, etc. Therefore, if your dog is lost, anyone can help him to reach home.
As can be seen, there are various types of collars with specific purposes. Therefore, it is important to get the right collar for your dog. You can visit the nearest pet shop or search on online for purchasing a dog collar for your dog. Besides, it might be a nice present for your pet, that can make your pet more beautiful. Therefore, you should learn about the things mentioned above about dog collars so that you can make your pet happy and comfortable with a dog collar.