My Dog Drank Chlorinated Water What Should I Do?
Does your fur baby just love to take a swim in the pool? It can be fun swimming and splashing around in a pool with your dog on a hot day! Nothing is more refreshing for you both! However, what happens if a dog drinks chlorinated water?
Has your dog drunk chlorinated water? Are you worried the chlorinated water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at chlorinated water and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Chlorinated Water?
Chlorine is sometimes added to disinfect water. It’s added to drinking water, pool water, hot tub water, and more. The amount of chlorine in drinking water is usually safe. However, the levels of chlorine needed to disinfect water in hot tubs and pools are quite a bit higher.Check Price on Amazon
The chemical works to kill pathogens in water that can make people and animals sick. This can include dysentery, hepatitis A, and other serious infections.
Some people also add chlorine to cleaning water, which is used to clean surfaces. Chlorinated cleaning water may be used to clean the kitchen, bathroom, floors, and more.
But what happens if a dog drinks chlorinated water?
Chlorine Water & Dogs
If your dog happens to drink a little pool or hot tub water, chances are he won’t get sick. However, if the water is not balanced and too much chlorine is used, even a small drink of this water could make a dog sick. It’s also possible too much chlorine in the water could cause chemical burns to your dog’s skin.
Dogs that drink chlorinated water used for cleaning may also experience severe toxicity symptoms.
Symptoms of Chlorinated Water Ingestion in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk chlorinated water:
- Stomach upset
- Abdominal pain
- And more
The severity of the symptoms will depend on how much chlorinated water your dog has ingested. It will also depend on the amount of chlorine in the water.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, it’s best to call the vet. This could be an emergency.
The good news is that dogs who receive fast medical treatment have the best chance of making a full recovery! So, be sure to call the vet right away—your dog’s life could depend on it!