My Dog Drank from Toilet What Should I Do?
Dogs can be totally gross at times. They are attracted to eating from garbage cans, eating things that are dead, and more! Our canine friends even have a tendency to drink the strangest things. Some dogs even drink from the toilet! But can drinking from the toilet make a dog sick?
Has your dog drunk from the toilet? Are you worried your dog will get sick after drinking from the toilet? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about drinking from the toilet and whether this can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
Toilet Water – Why Do Dogs Drink It?
Most dogs will drink from the toilet if they have access. Doesn’t that make you cringe? Your fur baby may drink from the toilet and then come and give you a big, slobbery kiss! Gross! But what makes a dog drink from the toilet?Check Price on Amazon
For one thing, a dog might choose to drink toilet water if his water bowl is empty. If a dog doesn’t have access to water, then he’ll go for water that is accessible—the toilet. Toilet water may also seem refreshing and cool to a dog on a hot summer’s day. And for some dogs, water that’s moving is a huge draw! Finally, if anyone’s just flushed the toilet, there’s a chance the dog may be right in there for a drink!
But can drinking toilet water make a dog sick?
Drinking Toilet Water & Dogs
When it comes to toilet water, the first consideration is that the water may not be very clean. Think about that for a minute. How often do you clean the toilet? If it’s not cleaned very often, the toilet water could be filled with E. coli and other nasty bacteria. These could infect a dog and make him very sick.
A second consideration is if you do keep the toilet clean. You probably use a special toilet cleaner to disinfect the toilet on a regular basis. If that’s the case, then it’s possible toilet cleaner residue could remain in the toilet water. Again, if a dog drinks water with toilet cleaner residue, he could become very sick. Toilet cleaners can be highly toxic.
Another problem comes from the use of other types of toilet cleaners. These may hang on the side of the toilet bowl and create blue water, along with a fresh scent. And there are some cleaners that sit in the toilet’s tank. The cleaner is released or dissolved into the toilet’s water with each flush. These may also be very toxic to dogs.Check Price on Amazon
Symptoms of Toilet Water Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks toilet water:
- Excessive drooling
- Dilated pupils
- Discoloration of the mouth/chemical burns
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet right away. This is a medical emergency. Be sure to let the vet know what type of toilet cleaner you use. Or if the toilet water is treated with other cleaners/chemicals, then tell the vet.
And don’t want to see if your dog’s symptoms will improve or worsen. Toilet water can be very toxic, and a dog needs to be treated quickly. There’s a very great danger of organ damage and failure.
In most cases, dogs that drink toilet water and receive treatment ASAP will go on to make a full recovery. However, it’s best not to let your dog drink from the toilet in the first place. Remember, prevention is always the best medicine!