My Dog Drank Trisodium Phosphate What Should I Do?
Many of us use household cleaners to keep our homes free of dirt and germs. Some cleaners are not toxic; however, many household cleaners are very poisonous. Do you use trisodium phosphate (TSP) to clean your home? If so, what happens if your dog drinks trisodium phosphate? Can this cleaner make your dog sick?
Has your dog drunk trisodium phosphate? Are you worried the trisodium phosphate will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
We’ve put together some information about trisodium phosphate and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Trisodium Phosphate?
Trisodium phosphate (TSP) is a cleaning product made of 75 to 80% trisodium phosphate and 20 to 25% of sodium carbonate. The product is an odorless, dry powder that’s mixed with hot water. The solution is usually clear, like water.
TSP is then applied with a sponge or scrub brushes and works to clean off all types of dirt. It tackles everything from grease to soot and more.
While TSP can be safe when used correctly, what happens if a dog drinks this cleaner? Can trisodium phosphate make a dog sick?
Trisodium Phosphate & Dogs
Unfortunately, trisodium phosphate is toxic to dogs. This is a very caustic cleaning that can be extremely irritating to the mouth, throat, and digestive tract. It can also lead to liver and kidney damage. It doesn’t take much of this substance to cause a dog to get very sick.
Symptoms of Trisodium Phosphate Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks trisodium phosphate:
- Redness & ulcers in the mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain & swelling
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Let the vet know about how much of the cleaner your dog has drunk. Also, tell them about what time this happened.
Do not induce vomiting, as the dog could aspirate the vomit into his lungs. This may not only make it difficult to breathe and/or cause choking. It can also bring the cleaner into the lungs, where it will cause even more damage.
The good news is that dogs have a good chance of making a full recovery. However, the key is to seek medical care as soon as possible. Left untreated, trisodium phosphate toxicity can lead to death.
When you’re using TSP, make sure your dog can’t get into the room. This is the best way to keep him safe!