My Dog Drank Transmission Fluid What Should I Do?
Everyone once in a while, you may find that your vehicle leaks transmission fuel. It’s a common problem. However, what happens if a dog drinks transmission fluid? Can transmission fluid make a dog sick?
Has your dog drunk transmission fluid? Are you worried the transmission fluid will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
We’ve put together some information about transmission fluid and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Transmission Fluid?
Transmission fluid is fluid used in vehicles. It works to lubricate the moving parts and provides hydraulic pressure to certain parts of the car. For instance, power steering & breaks, shifting, and more are made much easier with transmission fluid.
Transmission fluid is thinner than oil and is usually a clear red color. However, there are some transmission fluid products that are other colors.
You may notice a spot of transmission fluid in the driveway, in the garage, or spill the liquid when changing the fluid. These are all ways dogs may gain access to transmission fluid.
But is transmission fluid toxic to dogs? Can transmission fluid make a dog sick?
Transmission Fluid & Dogs
Unfortunately, transmission fluid can be toxic to dogs. It usually contains a substance called ethylene glycol, which has a sweet taste. It’s this taste that draws dogs to lick the fluid when they find it.
Transmission Fluid Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog ingests transmission fluid:
- Excessive urination
- Excessive thirst
- Low body temperature
- Severe kidney dysfunction
- Lack of appetite
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Let the vet know approximately how much transmission fluid your fur baby drank and when they drank it. Also, give the vet the name of the product. Some transmission fluids may contain other ingredients, too.
Do not wait to call the vet once symptoms have set in. The problem with this type of poisoning is that the initial onset of symptoms may be concerning. However, a few hours later, they seem to be improving. However, the dog is only becoming sicker. If not treated, transmission fluid toxicity can lead to death in dogs.
The good news is that most dogs make a full recovery if they receive prompt treatment.
In the future, if you notice transmission fluid has spilled, be sure to clean it up right away. This fluid is also toxic to other pets and wildlife!