My Dog Drank Soapy Water Will He Get Sick?

Reviewed By Kyoko •  Updated: 10/08/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

We use many household chemicals to keep our homes clean. The problem with these chemicals, when you have pets, is that they can be toxic to your fur babies.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Toxic Chemicals in Detergents

Detergents, such as dish soap, contain a number of chemicals that are toxic to dogs (as well as small children and other pets). These ingredients will vary from product to product, but they are still harmful to your fur baby.

Many dish soaps contain some of the following chemicals:

Detergent Poisoning in Dogs

Detergent poisoning is a common problem in dogs, and it must be treated quickly once the dog has ingested the dish soap.

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested dish detergent:

The symptoms will vary according to how much of the product your dog ingested, and his size. If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. Your dog will need prompt medical treatment.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Dish Soap Poisoning in Dogs

The vet will not have antidotes for this type of toxicity issue. For this reason, they will use supportive treatment, which may include IV medications. Then the vet will use treatments that work on the type of dish detergent your dog drank.

It’s possible your canine companion may need to be kept in the hospital for monitoring. The time in hospital will depend on how much of the detergent your dog has ingested.

The prognosis for your dog is pretty good, but this will depend on the type of dish detergent he’s had. The other key factor is seeking medical assistance as soon as possible.

(Visited 3,409 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading