My Dog Drank Plant Water What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 12/24/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Drank Plant Water

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Do you have a lot of plants around the house? If you do, you’re not alone! Plants bring a touch of nature indoors, making our homes more connected with nature. Plants can even help clean the air and improve air quality inside! But what happens if a dog drinks plant water? Can plant water make your dog sick?

Has your dog drunk plant water? Are you worried the plant water will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your fur baby drinks something like this.

We’ve put together some information about plant water and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Plant Water?

Plant water is the water that leaks from the bottom of the plant’s pot. The water may gather into a saucer placed under the pot. The water in the saucer just sits there and eventually dries up. Can the water contain anything harmful?

Plant Water & Dogs

Plant water can be harmful to dogs. The problem is that the plant water can contain fertilizer, parasites, bacteria, and more that could make a dog sick.

For instance, do you sometimes give the plants fertilizer? If so, then the plant water may contain some of the fertilizer. If a dog drinks much of the water, it’s possible he could develop fertilizer poisoning.

In addition, potting soil or dirt contain any number of microbes, including bacteria and parasites. It’s possible some of these will also be present in the plant’s saucer water. The water may even contain fungi, mold, and more! No wonder dogs can get sick from drinking plant water!

Symptoms of Plant Water Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these and other symptoms if your dog ingests plant water:

If your dog develops these or other concerning symptoms, then it’s a good idea to call the vet right away. Explain to the vet that your dog has drunk some plant water and about when this happened. Let the vet know about any chemicals used on the plants, including herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers.

It’s best to call the vet as soon as your dog shows symptoms. This is because waiting may allow the problem to get even worse. It is possible for a dog to die from this type of poisoning, though that is quite rare.

The good news is that most dogs, who receive prompt medical treatment, will make a full recovery.

 

(Visited 1,404 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading