My Dog Drank Ethyl Alcohol What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 11/04/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Our homes are filled with all types of household products that contain various chemicals, including alcohol. While many of us think of alcohol as something to drink, this chemical is also found in other types of products. For instance, ethyl alcohol is a common form of alcohol in our homes.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Because ethyl alcohol is so common, dogs are able to find these products and potentially drink them. But what happens if a dog drinks ethyl alcohol?

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Has your dog drunk ethyl alcohol? Are you worried the ethyl alcohol will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.

In this article, we’ve put together some information about ethyl alcohol and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Ethyl Alcohol?

Ethyl alcohol is a type of grain alcohol that is clear and colorless. It’s often used in alcoholic beverages. However, ethyl alcohol is also used in personal care products, paint, varnishes, and even fuel.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

This type of alcohol (also called ethanol) is produced by fermenting plants. The chemical is sometimes used in personal care products to inhibit the growth of bacteria, viruses, and fungi. You may have noticed that ethyl alcohol is often a component found in hand sanitizers. This is also the chemical used in rubbing alcohol.

Ethyl alcohol is also found in cleaning products, antifreeze, mouthwash, cough medication, and more. As you can see, it’s pretty easy for a determined dog to get into just about anything that contains ethanol.

But what happens if a dog drinks ethyl alcohol?

Ethyl Alcohol & Dogs

Ethyl alcohol is toxic to dogs. So, if your dog drinks anything that contains this chemical, call the vet immediately.

Symptoms of Ethyl Alcohol Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested ethyl alcohol:

It can take between 30 minutes and an hour for symptoms to appear. When the symptoms become apparent, the toxicity will progressively worsen.

So, if you know for sure, or even suspect, that your dog has ingested ethyl alcohol, then call the vet right away. Do not wait for symptoms to appear. Ethyl alcohol poisoning can lead to death in dogs if not treated.

The good news is that dogs, who are treated right away, have the best chance of making a full recovery after ingesting ethyl alcohol!

(Visited 56 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]