My Dog Drank Sea Water What Should I Do?
Don’t you just love heading to the beach? All that sea water, sun, and sand can be an excellent mix for fun and relaxation! What’s more, heading to the beach with your canine companion can be so much fun! That’s because many dogs love going to the beach! But what happens if a dog drinks sea water?
Has your dog drunk some sea water? Are you afraid the sea water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something like this. That’s why we’ve put together some information to help you and your dog in this situation.
In this article, we’ll take a look at sea water and whether or not it can make a dog sick. We’ll also share information on what to do if your dog has had some sea water. Let’s get started!
What is Sea Water?Check Price on Amazon
Sea water also referred to as saltwater, is water that comes from a sea or ocean. Sea water contains a lot of salt; some ocean water can contain as much as 35 grams (1.2 oz) of salt! This is what makes sea water denser than freshwater.
If you’ve ever swallowed sea water, then you know how salty it can taste! But what about dogs? Can sea water make a dog sick?
Sea Water & Dogs
Unfortunately, sea water can make dogs very sick. Sometimes at the beach, a dog may become thirsty. After all, it’s usually hot and windy at the sea. And a dog may become overheated from playing around a lot, too! When this happens, some dogs drink a lot of sea water because this is the only thing they can readily see that may satisfy their thirst.
When a dog drinks a lot of sea water, too much salt builds up in the dog’s system. The salt works to draw water from the dog’s blood and puts it into the intestines. This can cause some gastrointestinal issues. What’s more, salt water can also disrupt a dog’s fluid balance and more.
If a dog has one or two licks of sea water, chances are he will be OK. However, drinking more sea water can lead to salt toxicity in dogs.
Symptoms of Salt Toxicity in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has had too much sea water:
- Fluid buildup
- Increased heart rate
- Lack of energy
- Lack of appetite
- Muscle spasms
- Respiratory problems
- And more
What to Do if Your Dog Has Had Sea Water
If your dog has drunk a large amount of sea water, then call the vet immediately. This may be an emergency. Salt toxicity in dogs can lead to death, so do not wait to see if your dog’s symptoms improve or worsen. Call the vet right away.
The vet will know how to help your dog and will provide this guidance to you. Remember, salt toxicity can lead to death in dogs, so call the vet right away.