My Dog Drank Red Wine What Should I Do?
Who doesn’t enjoy a glass of red wine every so often? Red wine is both delicious and healthy to drink in moderation! However, what happens if your dog drinks red wine?
Has your dog drunk red wine? Are you worried the red wine will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
We’ve put together some information about red wine and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Red Wine?Check Price on Amazon
Red wine is an alcoholic beverage made from the fermented juice of grapes. Therefore, red wine is not only different in color from white wine, but its material and processing are also different. For one thing, red wine is made with dark-skinned grapes. And during production, the wine is made with processed grape juice (must), fermented with dark grape skins. The result is a wine that has full-bodied flavor and color.
Red wine has a reddish color, which may vary from almost purple to pale ruby. Red wines also contain a substance called tannins. Tannins are polyphenols that create texture, structure and make the wine age nicely. In fact, you may notice a drying feeling in your mouth after drinking red wine. The tannins in the wine cause this sensation.
While wine can be healthy in moderation for humans, what happens if a dog drinks red wine?
Red Wine & Dogs
Red wine and other types of alcohol are extremely toxic for dogs. So, never share your red wine (or other alcoholic beverages) with your fur baby. However, accidents do happen! It’s possible for your dog to find your wine glass left where he can get it. And being the curious pup he is, your fur baby decides to drink some of the wine. This can happen!Check Price on Amazon
However, if you believe your dog has drunk red wine, then watch for the following symptoms:
- Droopy ears (if it’s not normal for your dog)
- Body freezing
- Lack of focus
- Head bobbing
- Dilated pupils
- Drunken-like behavior
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Be sure to let the vet know about how much red wine your fur baby drank. And let the vet know about what has happened.
The good news is that dogs, who receive prompt medical treatment, will make a full recovery! However, getting your fur baby to the vet ASAP is essential to your dog’s survival!