My Dog Drank Chlorine Water What Should I Do?
What’s more refreshing on a warm summer’s day than swimming in the pool? Many pet parents have pools in the backyard, where their entire family can enjoy jumping in and cooling off! Even dogs are allowed in the pools. But what happens if a dog drinks chlorine water?
Has your dog drunk chlorine water? Are you worried the chlorine water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when something like this happens.
In this article, we’ll take a look at chlorine water and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Chlorine?
Chlorine is a natural chemical element that also happens to be an essential chemical building block of matter in our world. The chemical is used in many ways for a wide variety of products. Did you know that chlorine is used to produce contact lenses, as cooling chemicals in air conditioners, and even to create solar panels? Chlorine is also used to make bullet-resistant vests, paint, and so much more.Check Price on Amazon
Chlorine is also a powerful disinfectant used in our drinking water, pool water, and more. The chemical works to kill off harmful microorganisms in the water we drink and swim in. For example, it kills the bugs that cause cholera, typhoid, and more. Chlorine is also used as a disinfectant to clean surfaces, laundry, and much more.
Did you know chlorine is also used to produce certain medications we take? For example, it’s used in medicines that lower cholesterol, help with pain and allergies, and more.
While chlorine is safe when used as recommended, is it safe when used in water dogs might drink?
Chlorine Water & Dogs
When it comes to pool water, you’ve probably seen your dog take a few sips here and there. That’s natural, especially on a hot day. If your dog only drinks a small amount of chlorinated water, he should be OK. However, if your dog drinks large amounts of pool water, he could become sick.
Symptoms of Drinking Too Much Chlorinated WaterCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks too much chlorine water:
- Erosion of the esophagus
- Rapid, shallow breathing
- Kidney & liver damage
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then it’s best to call the vet. It’s possible your fur baby may have had more pool water to drink than you know. So, having him checked right away is the safest thing to do. Don’t wait to see if your canine companion’s symptoms will get worse, as in some cases, a dog could die from drinking too much chlorine water.
So, there you have it! Dogs can safely drink a little pool water now and then. But if you see your dog drinking a lot of chlorine water, then do call the vet right away.