My Dog Drank Pool Water Will He Get Sick?
Those hot days of summer make the perfect time to enjoy a dip on the pool. Swimming is enjoyed by both pet parents and their dogs. And many dogs love water and swimming, making this a great way for them to cool off and enjoy some great exercise at the same time!
Occasionally it will happen that we and our dogs can sometimes swallow a bit of pool water. That’s normal and doesn’t make us or our fur babies sick. But what if dogs drink water from the pool?Check Price on Amazon
Pool Water Can Be Harmful to Dogs
Water from the pool can be bad for dogs. There are three main reasons for this:
- Pool water contains chemicals: the water is treated with chlorine and anti-algal chemicals to help keep the pool clean and disinfected, making it safe to swim. While the chlorine levels are fairly low, they can cause problems for dogs. The same goes for the other chemicals found in the pool water. Saltwater pools are also treated with chlorine and can be dangerous if a dog drinks too much of the water. The salt is also bad for your dog.
- Microorganism: if a pool is not properly maintained, it can develop bacteria and fungi that make the water dangerous for humans and their dogs. Pool water sometimes contains E. coli, as well as other nasties.
- Aspiration: can happen when water makes into the lungs. It’s possible for a dog drinking pool to aspirate some the water. This can be caused by them standing incorrectly, which allows the water into the lungs. Dogs can also aspirate by drinking too much pool water. Aspiration causes coughing, gagging, and vomiting. It’s also possible for the dog to develop pneumonia, which can be a very serious medical issue.
Dogs Drinking Too Much Pool Water Can Be Dangerous
When a dog drinks large amounts of pool water treated with chlorine, this chemical can cause burns and irritation to the entire digestive tract—from the dog’s esophagus and more. And the water is more dangerous if it’s not been treated properly.
Pool water that’s not properly treated will be filled with bacteria and algae. These can also make a dog sick.Check Price on Amazon
What Happens When A Dog Drinks Pool Water?
This will depend on the amount of water the dog has had. When dog’s make it a habit to drink a lot of pool water, they can suffer from the chemical irritation caused by the chlorine. The more water, the sicker the dog may become.
When dogs drink a lot of pool water, then can also develop stomach issues. This is because the chlorine and other chemicals cause irritation to the stomach. When this happens, the dog may begin to vomit, regurgitate and just generally feel unwell. This isn’t a life-threatening problem, but some dogs can develop chronic vomiting that can cause them to become dehydrated.
Occasional sips of pool water won’t hurt your dog! However, to keep him from drinking the pool water, it’s a good idea to have a bowl of fresh water near the pool. Your dog will be very happy to stay refreshed with the fresh water after he enjoys a swim with you in the pool!