My Dog Drank Fish Tank Water What Should I Do?
Many pet parents may have a home that has a mix of pets, including fish, dogs, cats, and more! Having an aquarium is possible when you have other fur babies. What’s more, aquariums are beautiful and relaxing. Watching fish is even better than watching TV! But what happens if a fur baby, such as a dog, drinks the tank water? Can tank water make a dog sick?
Has your dog drunk tank water? Are you worried the tank water could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when a dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about tank water and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What’s in Tank Water?
Aquarium water is most often made from tap water, which has been treated to remove chemicals that are harmful to fish. It’s also treated with chemicals to ensure the water has the right pH for the fish. And some tank water may contain large amounts of salt if the fish are from the ocean or the sea.Check Price on Amazon
What’s more, tank water also contains a ton of bacteria, fungi, and toxins. For one thing, the water contains nitrates, which are produced by fish waste. While this isn’t harmful to the fish, it is harmful to humans, dogs, and other pets. Depending on the amount of tank water a dog has drunk, it’s even possible he could develop nitrate poisoning. But this would only be caused by drinking a lot of the aquarium water.
Tank water also contains high levels of carbonates and bicarbonates, especially water that’s very dirty. These substances can cause digestive and respiratory problems in dogs.
What’s more, aquarium water may also contain medications used to treat various fish diseases, such as ick and other infections.
Finally, the chemicals and other things in tank water could even cause an allergic reaction in some dogs.
What to Do If Your Dog Drank Tank WaterCheck Price on Amazon
If your dog has drunk tank water, then it’s best to call the vet. Let them know what’s happened and how much water you believe the dog has drunk. Also, be sure to let the vet know about any chemicals you have used or any medications that may have been in the water. All of this information will help the vet.
The good news is that tank water usually isn’t toxic to dogs; however, it can cause severe digestive upset, an allergic reaction, or other problems. So, it’s best to call the vet and get their advice on the next steps for your fur baby!