My Dog Drank Grape Juice What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 11/11/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Don’t you just love taking a long sip of chilled grape juice? Grape juice is a drink that goes with so many things! And we mean grape juice, not wine! But, back to the juice, it’s something that many pet parents enjoy! And sometimes, their dogs may try to take a sip, too! But what happens if a dog drinks grape juice?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog drunk grape juice? Are you worried the grape juice will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

In this article, we’ve put together some information about grape juice and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Grape Juice?

Grape juice comes from grapes that have been crushed. In many cases, the juice of several different types of grapes may be blended to create the refreshing drink. Did you know that grape juice contains between 7% to 23% of pulp, skin, stems, and seeds of the grape?

What’s more, grapes contain sugar; the amount of sugar in the grapes determines whether the juice will be sweet or sour. One more note—when grape juice is fermented, it can be made into vinegar, wine, and brandy.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

But what happens if a dog drinks grape juice? Can grape juice make a dog sick?

Grape Juice & Dogs

Unfortunately, grapes are toxic to dogs. Scientists aren’t sure exactly what in the grapes causes the problem. But they do know that grapes and their juice are toxic to dogs.

In addition, each dog may react differently to the grape juice toxin. Some become very sick, while others may only have an upset stomach. Then there are dogs that may develop kidney failure and die due to drinking grape juice.

Symptoms of Grape Juice Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks grape juice:

If you know for sure or even suspect, that your dog has drunk grape juice, then call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency.

The problem is that you never know if your dog will become very sick or not. Some dogs can tolerate grape juice, while others become seriously ill. For this reason, it’s imperative to call the vet right away.

Dogs who receive fast medical care have the best prognosis. They have a better chance of making a full recovery. So, don’t wait to see how your dog does—if he develops symptoms or if the symptoms improve/become worse. Call the vet right now. Your dog’s life may depend on it.

 

(Visited 248 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]