My Dog Drank Hot Chocolate What Should I Do?
Don’t you just love hot chocolate on a cool fall day? Or do you prefer drinking hot chocolate when it’s cold and snowy? No, when you prefer to drink hot chocolate, just about any time is the right time to savor hot chocolate!
But what happens if your dog drinks some of your hot chocolate? Will he get sick?
Has your dog drunk hot chocolate? Are you worried the hot chocolate will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at hot chocolate and whether it will make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate is a hot/warm beverage that’s made from cocoa, milk, sugar, and sometimes other ingredients. This drink has a very long history!
Hot chocolate seems to have first been used in Mexico by the Mayans, as early as 500BC. It wasn’t until the 1500s, when Europeans came to Mexico, that the drink became known in Europe. From there, hot chocolate went on to become a hit almost all around the world!
While hot chocolate is safe for us, what happens if a dog drinks hot chocolate?
Hot Chocolate & Dogs
Unfortunately, hot chocolate is toxic to dogs. The main problem with this yummy beverage is that it contains chocolate, which is highly toxic to dogs. It can also contain high amounts of sugar and other ingredients that can make dogs sick.
Even so, chocolate is the most toxic ingredient in hot chocolate. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. Theobromine is a stimulant, which is similar to caffeine. Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine (or caffeine!). Depending on the amount and type of chocolate ingested, it’s possible a dog could die from chocolate poisoning.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk hot chocolate:
- Excessive thirst/urination
- High heart rate
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Do not wait to see if your dog’s symptoms worsen or improve. Chocolate poisoning can cause death if untreated.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt treatment have an excellent chance of making a full recovery.
And remember that prevention is always best! Keep all chocolate (and hot chocolate) where your dog can’t get to it!