My Dog Drank from A Puddle What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 11/09/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

After it rains and you take your dog for a walk, there will be puddles around! Many dogs love to play in puddles, and some even drink the water! But can water from a puddle make a dog sick?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog drunk from a puddle? Are you worried the puddle water could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

In this article, we’ll take a look at puddles and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What’s in Puddle Water?

Many dogs love water and love playing and splashing about in puddles after a good rain. You’ve probably seen your own dog look elated by puddles of water! Just like little kids, some dogs simply can’t resist puddles of water.

However, drinking puddle water is quite another matter. That’s because the water in a puddle may contain harmful things. Puddles can contain any or all of the following:

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Toxins: most toxins in puddles are from human-made chemicals, including pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides. These chemicals wash off yards and plants, where they collect in puddle water.

Leptospirosis: this is an organism that lives in wet places and water. The bacteria are usually found in wild animals, such as deer and rodents. Farm animals (pigs, sheep, cows) can also transmit this bacterium. Dogs that drink puddle water containing this bacterium can become very sick.

Giardia: are microscopic protozoa that live in the intestines of wild and domesticated animals. These can be extremely infectious and can be found in puddle water, as well as in rivers and streams.

Antifreeze: it’s possible that a puddle may not even contain water but may have something like antifreeze inside! Antifreeze is extremely toxic to dogs.

As you can see, it’s really not a good idea to allow your dog to play or drink puddle water! But it can happen that your canine companion takes a drink before you can even tell him, “No!”.

Symptoms of Drinking Puddle Water

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk puddle water:

If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet right away. This may be an emergency.

Drinking any type of standing water, even from puddles, is not a good idea. So, if you and your dog go out for a walk after the rain, be sure to keep him away from all puddles! You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 147 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]