My Dog Drank Cleaning Solution What Should I Do?
Dogs are so curious about everything we do, what we eat, and more. Sometimes they’re even curious to their detriment. Have you ever noticed your dog hanging around, curious about the cleaning solution you’re using? Sometimes may think you have something yummy to eat or drink! But what happens if a dog drinks cleaning solution?
Has your dog drunk some cleaning solution? Are you worried the cleaning solution will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something he shouldn’t. So, we’ve put together some information to help you and your dog in this situation.
In this article, we’ll take a look at cleaning solution and whether or not it can make a dog sick. We’ll also share information on what you should do if your dog drinks a cleaning solution. Let’s get started!
What is Cleaning Solution?
A cleaning solution is usually a type of chemical (or a combination of chemicals) that are used to clean your home. Cleaning solutions can be used in just about every room of your home, including the kitchen, bathroom, and more. Cleaning solutions may be put to work cleaning up dust, mold, killing bacteria and viruses, and more.
Cleaning solutions can be made with any number of chemicals, depending on how the product is to be used and for what purpose. This means that a cleaning solution may contain bleach, detergents, perfumes, and more.
While cleaning solutions are safe when used as directed, what happens if a dog drinks the cleaning solution?
Cleaning Solution & Dogs
Unfortunately, cleaning solutions can be toxic to dogs. It depends on the chemicals used in cleaning solutions. For instance, bleach is toxic to dogs (and humans), while a cleaning solution made with vinegar and water won’t be poisonous to your dog.
Symptoms of Cleaning Solution Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk a cleaning solution that contains toxic chemicals:
- Difficulty breathing
- Abdominal pain
- Excessive thirst
- Trouble swallowing
- Blue mucus membranes
- Redness of skin and tissue damage (possibly even in the mouth)
- Inflammation and sores on eyes
- Inflammation and sores in the mouth/throat
What to Do If Your Dog Drinks Cleaning Solution
First, determine what cleaning solution your dog has ingested. Take your dog away from the solution so he can’t drink more. Then check the product label to see what chemicals are in the cleaning product. Write these down. Try to determine how long ago your dog drank the cleaning solution.
Next, call the vet right away. Cleaning solutions can be extremely toxic to dogs (and other pets), so call the vet as soon as possible. This could be an emergency.
Give the vet all the information you wrote down about the cleaning solution. Also, let them know how long ago your fur baby drank the solution.
The vet will more than likely want you to bring your dog in to be checked and treated. Don’t wait to see if your dog develops symptoms or if his symptoms improve. Cleaning solutions can cause death in dogs when ingested.
Accidents can happen; however, in the future, be sure to store cleaning solutions where you don’t can’t get to them. And never leave cleaning solutions unattended.