My Dog Drank Tree Water What Should I Do?
Dogs are notorious for drinking water wherever they find it. They may find a puddle of water, drink it from a stream or pond, or they may even drink tree water! But can tree water make a dog sick?
Has your dog drunk tree water? Are you worried the tree water will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
We’ve put together some information about tree water and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Tree Water?
There are different types of tree water; however, what we’ll discuss here is Christmas tree water. Christmas tree water is the water that’s used to keep fresh-cut pine trees hydrated during the holidays.
Sometimes dogs are drawn to drink the water. After all, why not? They drink water from the toilet! How bad could tree water be? Can tree water make a dog sick?
Tree Water & Dogs
Unfortunately, the water from Christmas trees can make a dog very sick. The problem is that water sits in the tree’s stand for many days. Standing water like this can quickly become home to bacteria and other nasties. What’s more, pine trees can lose their needles, which then end up in the water. What happens if a dog drinks the water and swallows the pine needle? The pine needle could cause choking.
Another problem is that Christmas tree farmers use preservatives, fertilizers, and pesticides to help their trees grow. Some of these can be toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of Christmas Tree Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks Christmas tree water:
- Abdominal pain
- Excessive salivation
- Blood in the vomit or stool
- Breathing difficulties
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency.
Let the vet know your dog has drunk Christmas tree water and about how much of the water he drank. Also, tell the vet what time this happened.
The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery after drinking tree water. The key is to get your dog to the vet ASAP for treatment.
And in the future, try to keep your dog out of the Christmas tree water!