My Dog Drank Gin What Should I Do?
Gin is something that many pet parents enjoy! They may like the beverage straight or mixed with other ingredients. Gin can be enjoyed in various types of drinks. But what happens if a dog drinks gin?
Has your dog drunk gin? Are you worried the gin will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about gin and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Gin?
Gin is an alcoholic drink that’s found all over the world; however, the spirit was first created in the Netherlands. It was meant to be a cure for kidney problems.
Gin is distilled from cereal grains, which usually includes wheat, corn, rye, and barley. The alcoholic beverage is also infused with juniper berries, which are small seed cones produced by juniper trees (a type of evergreen tree). This is why gin is sometimes described as having a “piney” flavor.
Many people enjoy gin alone or mixed with other ingredients. Gin is a beverage that lends itself to blending well with different types of alcohol and more.
There are several different types of gin, including London dry gin, Plymouth gin, Olt Tom gin, New Western Dry Gin (also called New American gin), and more. Gin has a high alcohol content of 80% to 100%.
But what happens if a dog drinks gin?
Gin & Dogs
Unfortunately, gin is very toxic to dogs. If a dog has only a lick of gin, chances are he will be OK. However, if a dog has more, then he’s in danger of alcohol toxicity, which can be life-threatening.
Symptoms of Gin Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks gin:
- Excessive drooling
- Decreased respiratory rate
- Loss of consciousness
- Hearth rhythm problems
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Alcohol toxicity is extremely dangerous to dogs and can lead to death if not treated. Don’t wait to see if your dog’s symptoms improve or worsen. Waiting could cause your dog to lose his life.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt treatment for alcohol toxicity have a better chance of making a full recovery.